Archive for September, 2014
For many couples it is hard for them to admit that their marriage is over and that it is time for each to move on with their lives. When deciding to get a divorce some people agree to it and it can be amicable but for others there may be hate for their spouse, which is why one or both sides look for divorce lawyers. Getting a divorce does not just mean legally getting rid of their spouse but can also involve child custody, division of bills, division of assets, and property. It can be a painful and stressful time for both parties to go through.
In order to retain the services of a divorce attorney there are some qualifications that you should look for. Good divorce attorneys should:
• Work effectively and efficiently for their client
• Be able to prepare their client for court appearances and proceedings
• Be able to answer any questions their client has promptly and not give answers that are ambiguous
• Be a good communicator and negotiator
• Have a practical approach to the court proceedings and avoid having any biased opinions.
• Be reliable and have good credibility
• Have experience dealing with all types of divorce cases.
When looking for divorce attorneys you should not just pick one out of the newspaper, out of the phone book, or who is advertising on television. Take the time to check them out before you make your choice. If the need arises, visit two or three divorce lawyers with a list of questions to ask them and once you have the answers take time to go over them along with their answers to help you make the right choice.
Some of the questions that you might consider asking them can include:
• How long they have been a practicing divorce lawyer and do they specialize in family law
• How many of the cases they have worked on have been divorce cases if they are a general lawyer
• What is their strategy while handling divorce cases
• If the case goes to trial will the lawyer have anyone assisting them
• What their charges are and if they charge per hour or per meeting, what they need for a retainer fee and approximate total cost for the divorce
• What extra expenses will you be responsible for
• How will the lawyer communicate with you in regards to the details of the case
• How will the divorce lawyer handle child support and custody if children are involved
These are just some general questions to ask. Every divorce case is different so there may specific questions you want to ask about your divorce.